Hunter Education Deferrals

This is Passport to Texas

If you plan to hunt this fall, and were born on or after September 2, 1971—you are required to take a hunter education training course. Program coordinator Terry Erwin says there is a way around it—at least temporarily.

13—Anyone who has not been certified by the time they turn seventeen, can go and get a deferral. They must buy a hunting license, and ask for deferral type 1-6-6 at the point of sale.

The deferral allows you to try out hunting as long as a certified licensed hunter accompanies you.

06—And if you like it, go get certified; you have by August 31st of the current license year to do that.

It’ll cost you $10 for a deferral. When the program started in 2005, more than 10-thousand people purchased deferrals—and that number continues to climb.

17—It offers an opportunity for someone who has not hunted before to give it a try and it brings in lapsed hunters. If they’ve been out of hunting for awhile, and didn’t get certified, they can come in, take the deferral, and then have an opportunity to get back into the outdoors.

Texas residents required to take hunter education training may obtain a deferral only once, after which time they must complete the certification course.

You’ll find hunter education information on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.

Our show is made possible in part by the Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Program…funded by your purchase of fishing and hunting equipment and motor boat fuel.

For Texas Parks and Wildlife…I’m Cecilia Nasti.

Comments are closed.